It’s unnerving to find out just how frequently sexual abuse by medical professionals can happen — and how long horrible doctors can keep perpetuating that abuse simply because of their position. If there’s anything that people have learned as a result of things like the Larry Nassar scandal, however, is that doctors should never be exempt from suspicion or consequences.

It’s also taught us that when a single victim steps forward, that often provokes other victims to reveal themselves when they know that they’re not alone.

Here’s what you can do if your doctor has sexually assaulted or abused you in some way:

  1. File a police report. If you were the victim of sexual assault, including unwanted touching or rape, your local police department can take a report. This helps document what happened and could start an official investigation.
  2. Call the state medical board. Every state’s medical board has its own system to process complaints against physicians. Filing a complaint may or may not result in some type of punishment, but it goes a step further to show the seriousness of your allegations.
  3. Make a report to the medical group or clinic. Most hospitals, clinics and doctors’ offices have a method by which patients can file a complaint regarding their physician’s behavior.
  4. Contact a crisis center or advocacy group. Rape crisis centers and organizations like the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) can help victims find the necessary assistance.

Many victims of sexual assault struggle (wrongly) with a sense of shame because of what happened to them. They may also worry that no one will believe them if their abuser was a prominent person, like a doctor. Our office will work to protect your privacy even as you take appropriate legal action against your abuser. We will also aggressively work to hold that person accountable every way that we can. Find out more by exploring our website further or contact us directly for more information.

Share This